Extract of Section 29 of the SIE Act 2001 - Amended (PDF Version)
Guidelines for Exemption from Application for Land Conversion Permit up to 2 hectares(4.7392 Arpents)
CONVERSION OF AGRICULTURAL LAND TO NON AGRICULTURAL USE
1. Legal Framework: Part V of the Sugar Industry Efficiency (SIE) Act 2001 governs the modus operandi under which conversion of agricultural land to non agricultural use is made.
2. Definition of agricultural Land: As per Section 27 & 28(2) of the SIE Act, agricultural land means either
(a) land which has been under cultivation of sugar cane, tea or tobacco from the effective date of application for land conversion or
(b) land which is declared as an irrigation area as per the Irrigation Authority Act or
(c) land which forms part of a land which was subdivided for agricultural purposes.
3. Procedures for application for land conversion: An application for conversion of agricultural land has to be made by the owner of the land on the application form available at the Land Conversion Unit of the Ministry.
Downloadable Forms . Additional documents to be submitted. (click here)
4. Exemption from payment of land conversion tax: Section 29 of the SIE Act provides for cases where an application is exempted from payment of land conversion tax . (click here)
5. Exemption from application for a Land Conversion Permit (LCP): Though a plot of land falls under the definition of agricultural land as per SIE Act, provision has been made in Section 28(4A) that the applicant is exempted from application for a LCP for a maximum extent of 2hectares (4.7392arpents).
(click here for more details)
Ministry of Agro Industry and Food Security